Pineapple is one of my favourite fruits, but at one point of time I was scared of eating them. There is a small incident which made me shy away from this humble fruit. This occurred when I was about 8 years old. My father bought a pineapple. Mom, cut the fruit and gave it to everyone at home. Just after 5 minutes of eating the fruit, my brother started itching all over the body. In another 2 minutes, his face was swollen and totally distorted. We all got very scared. My grandmother applied Vibuthi all over his body, but the itching did not stop. Then we rushed to a nearby clinic and the Doctor there, said that it was an allergic reaction caused by the pineapple. He gave an injection and said that he should be ok by morning. Though he returned to normal by morning, but that one incident instilled so much fear in me and my brother, that we did not eat pineapples for a long time after that. Then slowly, over the years I got over the fear. My brother also did not have any problem after that. But till today, whenever I eat pineapples, I get reminded of this incident.
Today’s recipe is a very simple and refreshing cooler perfect for the summer. The addition of ginger gives it a nice punch. Now off to the recipe:
What you’ll need
- Pineapple – 4 cups, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- Water – 3 cups
- Ginger Juice – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 3 tbsp (Adjust according to taste)
- Puree the pineapple pieces, with sugar and 1 cup of water, in batches.
- Add the remaining water and ginger juice. Stir well.
- Strain the juice, pressing the solids in the strainer.
- Chill for few hours before serving.
- Fill glasses with ice cubes and pour the pineapple juice over it.