Thiruvadira as I’ve mentioned in my previous post, is celebrated as Lord Shiva’s Birthday in Tamil Nadu and parts of Kerala. This year it falls on the 8th of January 2012.
Think Thiruvadira, the only thing that comes to my mind is the Kali – a sweet dish made of jaggery and roasted rice powder and Kootu – a savory dish made of root vegetables like Sweet Potato, Kavatthu, Pumpkin and (Avarakkai), which is made especially on this day. It is a rare combination of sweet rice upma with a savory vegetable curry. Women wake up in the wee hours and prepare these neivedyams, which are then offered to Lord Shiva and Parvathy before sunrise. People generally visit the Shiva Temple.
Before marriage, mom would prepare everything and I would get ready in time for the neivedyam. After marriage, I would stand and closely watch my MIL prepare these traditional dishes with ease. Today I am sharing the recipe for Kali. This is my MIL’s recipe and is really fool proof. I never thought preparing Kali was so simple until I made it myself last year.
Serves – 4
What you’ll need
- Raw Rice – 1 Cup
- Moong Dal – ¼ Cup
- Powdered Jaggery – 2 Cup
- Grated Fresh Coconut – 1 Cup
- Green Cardamom – 4 to 5
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Wash and drain the rice. Spread the rice in a muslin cloth and let it dry in shade for about ½ an hour.
- Dry roast the rice in a Kadai till it starts turning reddish. Cool completely and powder into a rava consistency. Transfer into a bowl.
- Also roast the Moong dal till a nice aroma comes out. Cook the Moong dal with little water.
- Cook the rice rava with 2 and ½ cups of water for 3 whistles.
- In the meanwhile, Heat a Kadai, add the powdered jaggery and dissolve it using ¼ cup of water. Strain for impurities and heat the syrup again.
- Add the grated coconut in the Jaggery syrup.
- Now, add the cooked dal, and rice rava. Mix vigorously for 2 to 3 minutes until everything forms a homogenous mixture.
- Add the ghee and stir again.
- Crush the cardamom and add it. Mix again.
1. Thiruvadira Kali is ready.
1. 2 Cups of Jaggery gave the right amount of sweetness. You can increase or decrease the amount of Jaggery according to your taste.