Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Molagootal

Think Palakkad Chamayal and the first thing that comes to my mind is Molaguttal. One of the easiest dishes to make. Some sweet memories are attached to this. Molaguttal is the first curry I dished out for my husband after our marriage. That was 8 years ago....Time has flied away since then. I still remember those days of cooking with my recipe diary on one end of the kitchen slab....Now let's come back to the present and see how to make this quick and really simple dish of lentils and veggies and ground coconut. 


Ingredients
  1. 1 Cup - Mixed Veggies like White Pumpkin, Yellow Pumpkin, Raw Banana, Carrots, Yam, Potato, Green peas etc. diced into small cubes.
  2. 3 Tblsps - Tuvar Dal
  3. 1/2 cup grated cococut
  4. A pinch - Turmeric Powder
  5. 1 tsp - Chilli Powder
  6. 1 tsp - Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
  7. 1 Tsp oil for Tempering
  8. 1 Tsp - Mustard Seeds
  9. 1 Tsp - Urad Dal
  10. Few Curry Leaves
  11. Salt to Taste
Preparation
Pressure cook vegetables with a pinch of turmeric powder and chilli powder. Also pressure cook the dal, mash it without lumps and keep aside.
Grind grated coconut with jeera to a fine paste adding little water.
Now in a separate vessel, add the cooked veggies, dal, and salt. Mix well and boil for 2 minutes. Now pour the coconut paste and adjust consistency by adding water. Allow to simmer for a few minutes. Add Curry leaves. Heat oil in a small pan, add mustard seeds and urad dal. Pour over the Molagutal. Serve hot with rice and some pickle of your choice.


11 comments:

Rajani said...

The ultimate palakkad dish!

Anisha said...

This is my favourite!

Archana said...

Wow this is new to me thanks for the link Kaveri.
I am hosting Kitchen Chronicles Theme Go Nuts...Do send me your entries

Raja Sundareswaran Mumbai said...

Molagoottal is all time favorite

Usha said...

Can you post molagushyam recipe? Link does not work

Usha said...

Can you post molagushyam recipe? Link does not work

Unknown said...

I remembwr my childhood days in Chittur, Palakkad. Molakottal was my favourite side dish with rice. Thank you for sharing the recipe. God bkess you

Anonymous said...

Instead of chilly powder - grind 3-4 dry chillies along with coconut & cumin seeds. Side dishes include - Inji Puli/ Spicy Thogyal/ sour curd or Puli pachadis.

Anonymous said...

Molakottal is my favorite dish. Especially Muringakka molakoottal. With varutharacha thoksayal sooper

Anonymous said...

This is staple at my palakkad neighbour. Thanks for the recipe.
Funny, there is no pepper, "molagu" in molagoottal!

Anonymous said...

In our home my wife Lakshmi who had won few of her dishes presentations on Palkkad recipes made Mulkootal at least once a month. Her mother from Thirunelvi who was excellent cook whom we were very proud of her. So my wife when ever she made Moolakuttal which in Thirunelveli is known as Poricha Kolumu. It is a tradition in theie family along with Poricha Kolumbi to serve with Appalam or Vadam. If both are not there then Postao chips is fine. Unfortunately many know her as Lakshmi Sadasivan passed away on March 14, 2023 after brief illness. Now I am trying to cook myself with Sambhar and other dishes I learnt at Ernakulam. You recipe for Mulakootal makes me happy and even I can try. 🙏🙏🙏

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...