This dish is our family favorite. Made out of Lentils and veggies. Pepper is one of the main ingredients in this dish. Also coconut oil is a must to get the right aroma and taste. This dish is usually given to convalescing mothers after delivery.
Ingredients Serves 3 adults and 2 children
1. Pasi Paruppu – 3Tbsp
2. Diced into cubes Veggies like Raw bananas, Yam, Ash Gourd, Carrots – 3 cup
3. Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
4. Pepper Powder – ½ to 3/4 tsp
5. Salt to taste
6. Coconut Oil – 1 Tblsp
7. Curry Leaves
- Dry roast the pasi paruppu till nice aroma comes out.
- Pressure cook the paruppu and veggies with turmeric powder, pepper powder, and 2 cups of water.
- Pour the cooked veggies and paruppu into another vessel.
- Add required amount of salt. Adjust consistency of molagutiam by adding about 1/2 cup of water.
- Allow to boil for 5 mins. Turn off heat.
- Add coconut oil and curry leaves. Let this sit covered for 5 mins then serve.
Now wasn’t that really simple. Have it with steaming rice and some pickle or with thayir pachadi.
Using coconut oil and curry leaves in the end is important to bring out the taste of this kootan or kuzhambu.