Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Canape




Canape is a decorative finger food, usually eaten in one bite. A canapé generally consists of a base of either crackers, bread, toast or puff pastry, followed by the application of some cream or butter paste topped with a canope of chopped vegetables, meat, fish, cheese, relish etc.  That’s a small definition of what a canapé is. To know more about it visit this link.

I was introduced to this delicious finger food by my cousin. She had invited us for dinner and served these as appetizers. They were an instant hit with my kids and even with older people (MIL, FIL), and no doubt I wanted to make them at home. When enquired about the canapé cups, she said one of our aunts who lives in Ahemadabad had given it to her. I looked for the canapé cups in quite a few big departmental stores in Hyderabad but was unable to find it. Finally, when my mom visited my aunt in Ahemadabad, she bought 4 to 5 packets of it and I have been making them quite frequently. I couldn’t click pictures of it, since most of the times my kids would be too eager to grab them, and I really didn’t want to dampen their spirit. After all I was making it for them. But yesterday I had to click them, as the stock of these baskets was getting over and I definitely wanted to post these cute looking things. Now I have to start looking for these cups here in Chennai.

But guys, don’t fret if you don’t have the cups, you could either bake them or you could serve them in a different base, like on a toasted bread slice or on crackers.



What you’ll need
  1. Canape Cup/baskets – 15 to 20
  2. Processed Cheese Cube – 1 or 2

For the filling
  1. Sweet Corn – ½ cup
  2. Cabbage – ½ cup, shredded
  3. Carrot – ½ cup, finely chopped
  4. Capsicum – ¼ cup, finely chopped
  5. Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
  6. Garlic – 1 or 2 cloves, crushed
  7. Butter – 2 tsp
  8. Black Pepper – ½ tsp
  9. Processed Cheese – 1 Cube
  10. Coriander Leaves - few sprigs



Method
  1. Heat a non stick pan or Kadai with butter, add the finely chopped garlic and onions. Saute for a minute or till the onions turn translucent.
  2. Now add the capsicum and sauté for another minute.
  3. Add the cabbage, carrots and sweet corn, mix well.
  4. Add salt to taste, cover and cook till the vegetables are done.
  5. Add pepper powder and mix well.
  6. Finally add half a cube of grated cheese and mix. Let this mixture cool.
  7. While serving,
  8. Spoon in the prepared vegetable mixture into individual canapé cups, top with some grated cheese. Garnish with coriander leaves.
  9. Microwave the cups with the filling for 30 secs and serve immediately. This step is optional, you can serve without microwaving too. 

Linking this to Celebrate - Olympic Games hosted by Priya.
Also linking to Joy from Fasting to Feasting - V
And to Ramadan Friendly Recipes

39 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow....Love to grab one:) Looks yummy n so inviting....Love the combination of veggies..

halal foodie said...

these are my favourite, my nani used to make with chaat filling and they would disappear in a sec i still have tht taste in my mouth, brought back fond memories

Unknown said...

inviting and tempting :)

hotpotcooking said...

When I bought first time I doono what to do, but I liked those canapés. Looks yum and great for parties.

Hamaree Rasoi said...

these are cute bites and great for evening parties

Roshni said...

oooh.... they look sooooo cute kaveri.... I especially loved the last click.. it felt like it was right there in front of me to grab.. yummm yummmm

virunthu unna vaanga said...

colorful n yummy...
VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA

Divya A said...

Looks so cute and feel like grabbing one :)
~Today's Recipe~Karuvadu Kulambu / Dry Fish Gravy
You Too Can Cook Indian Food Recipes

Anusha said...

love the plate kaveri and the new look too!!! And what cute canapes :)

Sanoli Ghosh said...

Very cute looks, really inviting!

Jeyashris Kitchen said...

These look very cute and the clicks are tempting me to grab this from the plate

Hema said...

They look super cute and so appetizing..

halal foodie said...

Hey Kaveri thanks for sending this recipe to my event :)

anjana said...

Cute and tempting snack..

Julie said...

Cutee cups,love to grab them..yummy,would love to try these with bread slices cups:-)

Ongoing Events of Erivum Puliyum @ Palakkad Chamayal-Fenugreek Leaves OR Green Chillies

Archana said...

O dear these are available in plenty here and I do not make them, as The canapes that I have eaten are not to my taste. Now you make me rethink my options. Love these. Come over and we will get you as many as canapes as you wanat.

Haddock said...

Now that is something that I can take in one bite :-)

Reshmi Mahesh said...

These cups look cute and yummy..Kids sure will enjoy eating it as its mess free...

Kavitha said...

yummy and looks delicious :)

Suja Manoj said...

Lovely pics dear,makes me drool

Swathi said...

Beautiful and cutie dish, Love the your vegetable choice. Great appetizer.

Sobha Shyam said...

canape looks so cute n yummy, sure they will disappear in minutes :) dnt knw if I will get these cups here, can try with some other base :) lovely clicks Kaveri :)

Shabbu said...

cute and yummy..nice one..
Shabbu's Tasty Kitchen

Vidhya said...

Delicious little cups.Great appetizer.

Unknown said...

They look absolutely adorable Kaveri! I like your Indianized version of the filling too :-)

Foodomania said...

Looking really delicious!!

Santosh Bangar said...

inviting tempting canape

Prathima Rao said...

Want o just pick them up & devour!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

looks yummmm, delicous & mouthwatering
Tasty Appetite

Myvegfare said...

feel like picking it up and type the comments :), well presented, so delicious, with different flavours

Chitra said...

Love to taste some.pretty clicks :)

Saraswathi Ganeshan said...

Woow..they looks so cute..Sure kids will love it and it is a healthy idea to add veggies as a filling..

Unknown said...

Canapes are new to me, they look great Kaveri! lovely clicks. glad to follow you

Unknown said...

That looks totally appetizing and inviting!

Rani acharyulu said...

Wow looks so cute and inviting....lovely party starters!

Unknown said...

Canape looks so cute and delicious.



Cuisine Delights
My Monthly Event - Spotlight : "Healthy Snacks"

Raks said...

Looks so tempting, I am a great fan of this, never got to get it here in singapore. Love your blog new layout! :)

foodgalleri said...

Looks yummmy :)

You have a great space here..Happy to follow you
http://indianrecipegalleri.blogspot.in/

Shobha said...

A perfect cocktail snack !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...