Canape is a decorative finger food, usually eaten in one bite. A canapé generally consists of a base of either crackers, bread, toast or puff pastry, followed by the application of some cream or butter paste topped with a canope of chopped vegetables, meat, fish, cheese, relish etc. That’s a small definition of what a canapé is. To know more about it visit this link.
I was introduced to this delicious finger food by my cousin. She had invited us for dinner and served these as appetizers. They were an instant hit with my kids and even with older people (MIL, FIL), and no doubt I wanted to make them at home. When enquired about the canapé cups, she said one of our aunts who lives in Ahemadabad had given it to her. I looked for the canapé cups in quite a few big departmental stores in Hyderabad but was unable to find it. Finally, when my mom visited my aunt in Ahemadabad, she bought 4 to 5 packets of it and I have been making them quite frequently. I couldn’t click pictures of it, since most of the times my kids would be too eager to grab them, and I really didn’t want to dampen their spirit. After all I was making it for them. But yesterday I had to click them, as the stock of these baskets was getting over and I definitely wanted to post these cute looking things. Now I have to start looking for these cups here in Chennai.
But guys, don’t fret if you don’t have the cups, you could either bake them or you could serve them in a different base, like on a toasted bread slice or on crackers.
What you’ll need
- Canape Cup/baskets – 15 to 20
- Processed Cheese Cube – 1 or 2
For the filling
- Sweet Corn – ½ cup
- Cabbage – ½ cup, shredded
- Carrot – ½ cup, finely chopped
- Capsicum – ¼ cup, finely chopped
- Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
- Garlic – 1 or 2 cloves, crushed
- Butter – 2 tsp
- Black Pepper – ½ tsp
- Processed Cheese – 1 Cube
- Coriander Leaves - few sprigs
- Heat a non stick pan or Kadai with butter, add the finely chopped garlic and onions. Saute for a minute or till the onions turn translucent.
- Now add the capsicum and sauté for another minute.
- Add the cabbage, carrots and sweet corn, mix well.
- Add salt to taste, cover and cook till the vegetables are done.
- Add pepper powder and mix well.
- Finally add half a cube of grated cheese and mix. Let this mixture cool.
- While serving,
- Spoon in the prepared vegetable mixture into individual canapé cups, top with some grated cheese. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Microwave the cups with the filling for 30 secs and serve immediately. This step is optional, you can serve without microwaving too.
And to Ramadan Friendly Recipes