Monday, July 18, 2011

Peanut Chutney

Vegetarian Andhra cuisine is very famous for its pappus (dals) and pacchadis (pickles and chutneys). After coming to Hyderabad, I have learnt to make many kinds of pacchadis. Of the ones I learnt, my favorite is this peanut chutney. It is an excellent side dish for Idli and Dosas. It can also be mixed with plain rice with a little sesame oil. I love its well blended and creamy texture. It requires only a very few ingredients and can be whipped up in just a few minutes.


What you’ll need

1. Peanuts – 1 cup
2. Dried Red Chillies – 3 to 4
3. Tamarind – a small piece
4. Salt to taste

For tempering

1. Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
2. Split Urad Dal – ½ tsp
3. Hing – a pinch
4. Curry Leaves – a few
5. Oil – 1 tsp


Method

Heat a Kadai and dry roast the peanuts. Cool and remove the skin.
In a small frying pan, add a little oil and fry the red chillies.
Grind the roasted peanuts, dried red chillies and tamarind without adding water. Once these are powdered well, add salt and water and pulse it for a few seconds more. Transfer into a bowl.
Heat a fry pan with a little oil, season with mustard seeds, urad dal, hing and curry leaves. Pour the seasoning over the chutney.
Peanut chutney is ready. Serve it with idlis or dosas.


Variations:

1. You can add about ½ a cup of scraped fresh coconut while grinding. That gives a slightly different but good taste.
2. You can also add sautéed onions and garlic while grinding.

Linking this to Sravani's Event Cooking Concepts - Roti Pacchadi/Chutney and to Anyone can cook Series - 26

33 comments:

khushi said...

I love this chutney with Idli..nice one :)

jayasree said...

Reading about peanut chuntney takes me back to my hostel days where it was served with idli. Love that cute little kadai

Vimitha Durai said...

I love this with dosas.. Yuummmm...

Radhika said...

This is one of my favorite chutney.


Event: Let's Cook – Subzis for Rotis

Suja Manoj said...

My favorite chutney..looks delicious.

Suman Singh said...

Wow, that platter of idli-chutney looks so very delicious and tempting....

Nithya said...

Delicious chutney :) your version is pretty different and interesting. will give it a try sometime :)

Vidhya said...

Yummy chutney.

Sobha Shyam said...

delicious chutney, never tried before, bookmarked it :)

Only 2 days left-Event:
COOK IT HEALTHY:PROTEINicious

Anonymous said...

Hey Kaveri.. I love peanut chutney.. Yours looks yummy..

Unknown said...

Yummy...I eat it with dosas a lot. we also add onions.

Cheers,
Uma
http://umaskitchenexperiments.blogspot.com

divya said...

wow..yummy with idlis ....

Unknown said...

lovely plating....awesome....taken this simple dish to a whole new level with ur beautiful clicks...

Raks said...

I have never tasted peanut chutney,with those idlies looks so so tempting!

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Delicious chutney..

Swathi said...

Peanut chutney looks delicious, love to try them.

Urmi said...

Very interesting recipe. Chutney looks yummy and tasty.

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious chutney with the idly looks wonderful

Hari Chandana P said...

Quick and delicious chutney.. looks perfect.. love the presentation too :)
Indian Cuisine

Umm Mymoonah said...

I love this peanut chutney a lot, perfect with idlis. The kadai which you served the chutney also looks very attractive. Thank you for linking with Any One Can Cook :)

Nandita SS said...

Thanks for visitingYou have a great space as well. Loved the peanut chutney and the presentation!! Keep rocking :)

Prathima Rao said...

I esp love this one with Andhra pesrattu!!! Loved ur version of the peanut chutney ;)
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Shobha said...

If I get idli and chutney, I can forget any food...just love it.

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

its my fav..hot soft idly n peanut chutney..thats divine..:P
Tasty Appetite

Shylaja said...

Delicious chutney.Perfect with idli/dosa
South Indian Recipes

Sunita Sriram said...

Chutneys are always welcome and sure this is a surprise package for me as I have not experimented much with peanuts- will post my comments once I give it a try :)

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Looks perfect and love the aroma of this chutney. Visit my blog when time permits.

Santosh Bangar said...

COLOR AND TEXURE OF CHUTNEY IS PERFECT EASY TO MAKE

aipi said...

I like this nutty delicious chutney! The platter with chutney n idlis look super tempting!
US Masala

Unknown said...

Yumm...tasty tasty peanut chutney..

Priya Sreeram said...

chutney looks nice and with idlis is it's a yummy combo !

Deeksha said...

Love this chutney..yummy!

Suhasini said...

Hi I also moved to Hyderabad recently.I never knew that Peanut chutney is so very easy.Will try it out

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...