Monday, October 3, 2011

Nendram Pazham Puliserry




Busy days of Navarathri are flying by. It’s already the seventh day. Another two days and there goes this year’s Dassara. Hope all of you are enjoying the festive season.

Coming to today’s post, it is nothing related to Navarathri.  Actually I had wanted to post this before Onam. But due to some constraints couldn’t get around doing it then.






Puliserry is a popular Kerala dish, which is almost an integral part of Sadhyas in some parts of Kerala. It is a spiced coconut and yoghurt gravy which is generally had with rice. Puliserry is generally made with a fruit – the most popular one being Mambazha Puliserry made out of ripe mangoes. Nendram Pazhams (ripe plantains) and Pineapples are also widely used in making Puliserry. It has a lovely blend of fruity, slightly spicy and tangy flavors.

What you’ll need

1.       Ripe Nendram Pazham – 2
2.       Sour Thick Curds – 1 ½ cups
3.       Black Pepper Powder – ½ tsp
4.       Turmeric Powder – a pinch
5.       Salt to taste
6.       Curry Leaves

To Grind

1.       Scraped Coconut – 1 cup tightly packed
2.       Green Chillies – 4 (Adjust according to taste)

For Seasoning

1.       Oil – 1 tsp
2.       Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
3.       Dried Red Chillies – 1 broken
4.       Fenugreek Seeds – ¼ tsp

Method

Peel Nendram pazham, and cut into big pieces. Boil the pazham pieces in just enough water with turmeric powder, pepper powder and salt.
In the meanwhile, grind the coconut with green chillies into a fine paste. You can use a little of the curd to grind.
Once the pazham pieces are cooked, it should be done in 10 minutes. Add the ground coconut and chillies paste. Mix well. Add about 1/2 cup of water and bring to boil.
Whisk the sour curds and add it to the above mixture. Adjust salt. Give it a nice stir. Simmer until it starts foaming up. Let it not boil. Remove from heat.
In a small frying pan, heat the oil, add mustard seeds, once it crackles add the fenugreek seeds and red chilly. Pour this over the puliserry.  
Yummy Pazham puliserry is ready. Serve with white rice accompanied with a simple vegetable stir fry and some pappadoms.





Linking this to Ramya’s event B for Banana, to KeralaKitchen hosted by Khushi and to F is for Fruit Curry guest hosted by Richa originally started by Charitha

36 comments:

Radhika said...

This is truly lip smacking.


Check out my 200th post Giveaway

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

yummylicious recipe...cant wait to try this..:)
Tasty Appetite

Indian Khana said...

looks delightful ...yum

Priya Suresh said...

Wow wat a delicious and fingerlicking pulissery..fantastic..

Sunita Sriram said...

I have always relished maambazha pulissery and nenthram kaay kaalan - well now I got to try your variant :)I have always relished maambazha pulissery and nenthram kaay kaalan - well now I got to try your variant :)

Ramya said...

this is one if my fave, but not made for a long time now..thanks for linking to my event. hope to see more entries from you..

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Looks so delicious and wonderful.

Sravs said...

Nice dish with delicious flavours !!

Ongoing Event - CC-What's For Friday Dinner??

Reshmi Mahesh said...

This looks delicious...yumm...

Padhu Sankar said...

Sure to try this .Looks yummy!

Kaveri Venkatesh said...

Thanks you friends

Priya Sreeram said...

loved this authentic dish- nice burst of flavours !

Archana said...

New to me. Sounds good.
I am hosting Fast Food not Fat Foot event. Do check out my event and send me your entries.

Unknown said...

Very authentic and delightful recipe.

Cheers,
Uma

Unknown said...

No trouble Kaveri but I am glad you asked so I got to see this yummy puilesery :)

Super like

Priya

Binys Recipes said...

wow never ate this...i recently tried with pineapple and it was gud

Sobha Shyam said...

pulissery looks so delicious, its been so long I made this..

Vidhya said...

Pulissery and rice and I don't want anything more.Yummy recipe.

Tina said...

my all time fav dish...looks perfect.

vandana rajesh said...

very tasty indeed, we make it a little differently. Just superb with steamed rice..an any time comfort food(reminds me of home).

Deepti said...

long since got to taste this...Looks perfectly tempting...Happy Festive time to u

http://www.panchamrutham.blogspot.com/

Jeyashris Kitchen said...

new dish to me. nicely done too

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of this dish.. but it sure looks yumm!! :-)

Vineetha Sush said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and following me..First time here,pulisserry is my fav,but I always try with pineapple and mango,never tried with pazham,will try pazham version too..
will be following u too..

Prathima Rao said...

Interesting..Pulissery from nendran is totally new to..Looks lip smacking good...
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Neha said...

Lovely recipe....looks very yummy..Do check my give away...

Pushpa said...

Awesome recipe looks delicious Kaveri.

Richa Priyanka said...

Pl collect your award from my blog-
http://ambrotos.blogspot.com/2011/10/award-that-brightened-my-day-too.html

Thanks for sending, send more!! F for fruit curries!
http://ambrotos.blogspot.com/2011/09/f-for-fresh-fruit-curries-and-contests.html

Also, if you are interested in the Arusuvai India blogger friendship chain, leave me a comment here-
http://ambrotos.blogspot.com/2011/08/arusuvai-and-my-recipe-with-secret.html

Cheers, Richa

Urmi said...

Pulissery looks absolutely fantastic, yummy and tempting.

Raks said...

flavorful puliseri! sounds really yummy..wish to have it with rice!

MyKitchen Flavors-BonAppetit!. said...

Yumm Nendra Pazha Mor Gravy dear.this is new to me .Supergood Clicks as well.

Sangeetha M said...

This authentic recipe is very new to me n looks super yummy n inviting...lovely recipe dear...I am back :))

Richa Priyanka said...

thanks Kaveri! I think i need to try this one!

Richa Priyanka said...

i posted the roundup finally!
http://ambrotos.blogspot.com/2011/12/ars-f-for-fruit-curries-roundup-and.html

shekhar said...

Tried it, Excellent! Very Authentic Recipe. Brought back memories of my moms cooking taste.

MR said...


We generally use dry red chillies (and not green chillies) to grind with the coconut, for the Nendram Pazha Pulissery and Mampazha Pulissery. Green chillies are used for regular Mor Koottaan / Kaalan.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...