Thursday, June 7, 2012

Jam Tart





We the Gourmet Seven decided on the theme of Pies/Tarts/Quiches for this month from the Smitten Kitchen. Though I very readily agreed to the theme, only after a while did it don on me that I had tasted tart ages ago and I did not remember how it tasted. I am really apprehensive about cooking something which I haven’t tasted before. The reason is very simple, I really can’t justify whether the outcome is the expected one.

Last week I happened to visit one of my relatives. They talked about a new bakery that had opened nearby, which sold all eggless bakes. My luck, I should say, among other baked goodies like pastries, and cookies they had also bought baklava and a tart. They very happily shared some of it and the taste is still lingering.

So finally, I gathered all my courage and decided to take up the challenge of baking my first tart – Jam Tarts. The experience was really good. Since the pastry shell called for eggs, I slightly modified the recipe and it worked out well for me. The crust was crisp and flaky and the jam filling not only made it look pretty but attracted my children immediately. Next time, though, I would like to go for something savory.



Adapted lightly from Smitten Kitchen

For the crust
  1. All Purpose Flour – 1 cup
  2. Powdered Sugar – 5 tsp
  3. Oil – ½ cup
  4. Cold Milk – 4 tbsp

For the filling
  1. Jam or any kind of fruit preserve (I used Mixed Fruit Jam) – ¼ cup

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
  2. In a wide bowl mix the dry ingredients.
  3. Now add the oil and lightly mix with your fingers until it resembles bread crumbs.
  4. Now add in the milk and gather to form dough. Do not work too much on the dough.
  5. Press the dough into un-greased tart mould.
  6. Poke holes on the base and sides of the dough.
  7. Bake it for about 20 to 25 minutes.
  8. In the meanwhile, take the jam in a bowl and stir well, so that it is loosened.
  9. Fill the pre-baked tart shell with Jam. Fill 3/4th of the shell, or the jam will boil over while baking.
  10. Bake the tart for another 15 to 20 minutes or till the edges are browned.
  11. Cool the tart completely before removing from the molds else it may crumble.



 Check out what the other Gourmets- Anamika, Anusha, Radhika, Sangeetha, Vardhini and Veena are upto......





24 comments:

Radhika said...

The last click is just too good Kaveri.. You have done a marvelous job. Hard to tell this is your first tart...

Kaveri Venkatesh said...

Thanks Radhika, That was a quick one.

Shobha said...

Very nice and surely a kids delight !

Akila said...

It's tempting me too much....

Prathima Rao said...

quick & easy filling, kids are sure to enjoy this :)
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Raksha said...

This is tempting. I am desperately looking for a tart pan. Probably I'll find one in Big Bazaar.

Priya Suresh said...

Woww, feel like having a slice,yummy tart.

Spice up the Curry said...

jam tart looks so delicious. I can have this anytime

Suja Manoj said...

Yummy and so inviting,great job dear.

Hema said...

Looks awesome dear, beautifully done..

Unknown said...

love the tart.beautiful pic.

Mélange said...

Pretty and tempting Jam tart Kaveri..My daughter is a fan of this..Yummy.

Nalini's Kitchen said...

Yummy looking jam tart,feel like grabbing it.

Vidhya said...

Fabulous looking tarts.I made another batch of your awesome rice flakes chivda today.

Julie said...

very inviting & delicious ones,lovely ones..kids will love these!!

Ongoing Events at(Erivum Puliyum)-
1. The Kerala Kitchen(June'12)

2.EP Series-Basil OR Cardamom

Swathi said...

Delicious and simple tart Kaveri. You done very nice .

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Inviting tart...Delicious and quick filling...

Sangeetha M said...

Aww...the tart looks so inviting n the Jam filling ooks colorful n pretty!! Very delicious one Kaveri n u have made it perfectly!!

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Perfectly done Kaveri, looks fantastic.

Roshni said...

Kids will finish this off in a jiffy... yummm

Vardhini said...

Tart looks perfectly made Kaveri.

Vardhini
CooksJoy

Faseela said...

gorgeous luking tarts......surely kids will fall on it...

Anusha said...

kaveri... just who got to eat these tarts?? cos i m so jealous!! i love jam.. i love dunking into it and then licking my fingers.. these tarts are a perfect excuse to do just that

Shylaja said...

Looks so beautiful Kaveri.Love to have it right away

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...