Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Vendakkai Thayir Pachadi





While browsing through my recipes, I found that I have not blogged a single Thayir Pachadi recipe. Actually, I am not a big fan of thayir pachadis or raithas. Maybe that’s the reason why I haven’t posted one.  Even though it’s not something which I would savour to its last drop, it does find its way into my kitchen very frequently – reason, my children. Both are big fans of it and they can simply have bowlfuls of the pachadi and say that they’ve finished lunch!

 I prefer this Lady’s finger pachadi over the numerous varieties of thayir pachadis. So I thought of opening this category with my favourite choice.

The title should have rightly been Venkakkai Kichadi – as curd based pachadis are known as Kichadi and form an important part of the Sadhya or feast. But in our house we just refer to them as Thayir pachadi so I stuck with that name. You could use other veggies, like cooked ashgourd pieces, or banana stem pieces as well instead of lady’s finger. Tastes best as an accompaniment with rice and Molagootal or Molaguhsyam.

Serves - 4
What you’ll need
  1. Lady’s Finger /Vendakkai – 200 gms
  2. Green Chillies – 1 or 2
  3. Fresh Grated Coconut – ½ cup
  4. Fresh Thick Curd – 2 Cups
  5. Mustard Seeds –1/4 tsp
  6. Curry Leaves – few
  7. Salt to taste
  8. Oil – 2 tsp

For Tempering
  1. Oil – 1 tsp
  2. Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp

Method
  1. Wash and pat dry the lady’s finger. Cut into small pieces.
  2. Heat a kadai with oil. Add the lady’s finger pieces, cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
  3. Remove the lid and fry for another 5 to 10 minutes, on low heat, stirring every now and then.
  4. Once the lady’s finger is fried well, add salt and mix well.
  5. Remove from heat. And let it cool.
  6. In the meanwhile, grind coconut, green chillies, mustard seeds and curry leaves to a smooth paste adding a little water.
  7. Beat the curd well, add the coconut paste and fried lady’s finger. Mix well and check for seasoning.
  8. Heat a small frying pan with a tsp of oil. Add mustard seeds. Once they splutter pour the seasoning over the pachadi.


That’s it, delicious Vendakkai Thayir Pachadi is ready.

Serve as an accompaniment with rice and molagootal or Molagushyam or even with rotis.

Linking this to The Kerala Kitchen hosted by Julie.

25 comments:

Shobha said...

I have never tasted bhindi pachadi..

Hema said...

Love this pachadi, it's a family favorite, and beautiful clicks..

Hamaree Rasoi said...

I love this bhindi pachadi very much...it completes my meal...

Deepa. R. Krishnan said...

Woohoo..Looks amazing,Kaveri..

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious looking pachadi I haven't had okra pachadi before

Unknown said...

I like you simple but yummy recipes!
"SYF&HWS - Cook With SPICES" Series
"SYF-HWS" - FENNEL SEEDS (June 5th to July 5th)
"ONLY MANGO" (June 1st to June 30st)
"Dish It Out" - BLACK BEANS and BELL PEPPER (June 1st to June

30st)

"Cooking with Whole Foods" - BROWN RICE (June 10th to Aug 10th)

Priya Suresh said...

Wat a wonderful looking pachadi, simply loving it.

Radhika said...

I remember eating this long back with ash gourd in my malayali neighbor's house.lovely snaps.

Mélange said...

Pachadi is my fav and you have presented it well too !

anjana said...

loved this bhindi pachdi or raita..a also make this ,but in a slightly way..U.P style:)

Faseela said...

yummy n superb pachadi....

Swathi said...

Vendakkai thayir pacchadi looks delicious. I love it.

kitchen queen said...

awesome and delicious pachadi.

Suja Manoj said...

Yummy kichadi,one of my favorite.

Archana said...

Hey I have heard abt this pachadi but never tried it out. Sounds delicious. What is molagootal or Molagushyam? I tried google search but I am still not clear abt the meaning.
Thanks.
I am hosting Kitchen Chronicles Theme Go Nuts...Do send me your entries

Nalini's Kitchen said...

Yummy,yummy vendakai thayir pachadi.........

Julie said...

wow..love this pachadi..Nice & lovely presentation,Kaveri:-)
Thanx for linking dear!
Ongoing Events at(Erivum Puliyum)-
1. The Kerala Kitchen(June'12)

2.EP Series-Basil OR Cardamom

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Lovely one Kaveri. Beautiful bowl and very beautifully clicked.

Rajani said...

Nice click. This is a festive special at our home. I normally deep fry the vendakkai and drain on tissue paper to save time

Roshni said...

My fav.... its just simple.. though i make other ones, this one has a special place in my mind... love your presentation

Vidhya said...

This is my daughters favorite dish in the sadhya meal.Lovely presentation and beautiful clicks.

Shylaja said...

Nice click Kaveri.Love his thayir pachadi anytime

Kavi said...

Wow! tthis looks delicious!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Swaps swetha here.. trying this today!!

Unknown said...

Hello Kaveri can you please give me recipes for Muringakai...poriyal and kootaan.
Thanking you in advance.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...