Wednesday, November 30, 2011
Parathas, stuffed or otherwise have always been my favorite. They are the easiest way of sneaking in vegetables into our kids meals. I often find myself preparing these kinds of veggie infused parathas for my daughter’s lunch box. She does not require any side dish for this and usually has it with some ketchup. So while I was browsing through Sangee’s space, Spicy Treats, known for her innovative recipes, for this week’s blog hop, I found the recipe for these yummy Cabbage Parathas. I usually grind the cabbage, while making these, but this time I followed Sangee’s method and all of us enjoyed the slight crunch of the shredded cabbage and onions in between the bites. You can find the original recipe here.
Makes 8 to 10 parathas
What you’ll need
1. Wheat Flour – 2 cups + more for dusting
2. Finely Shredded Cabbage – ½ cup
3. Onion – 1 small, finely chopped
4. Coriander Leaves – a small bunch
5. Green Chilly – 1
6. Ginger – a small piece
7. Carom seeds/Ajwain – ½ tsp
8. Salt to taste
9. Oil – 1 tbsp
10. Water for kneading
1. Grind together coriander leaves, green chilly and ginger into a fine paste without adding any water.
2. In a wide bowl, Add wheat flour, carom seeds, salt and oil. Mix it well with your hands, so that the oil gets merged well in the flour.
3. Now add the Coriander chilly paste, shredded cabbage and onion. Mix well.
4. Now add water little by little and knead into stiff dough. Rest the dough for about 10 minutes.
5. Pinch out a lemon sized ball of dough, roll it on some dry flour, flatten and roll out into chapattis, dusting on dry flour as and when required.
6. Heat a tava, place the prepared chapatti on the hot tava and cook on medium flame. Apply a tsp of oil, flip it over and add another tsp of oil and spread it. Cook till brown spots appear.
Enjoy these hot parathas with a raita or curry of your choice.
Do not add too much water while kneading, since the cabbage and onions will give out water and loosen the dough upon resting.
Linking this to Blog Hop Wednesday and to Healthy Lunch Ideas hosted by Kavi