Sunday, April 28, 2013

Paruppu Podi/Spiced Lentil Powder




I am not a huge fan of podis and that is evident from the fact that I have posted only one podi, Thengai Podi, so far.  So I never bothered to prepare or stock it at home. But my mom and grandmother always have stock of these handy powders. On one of my visits to my mom’s place, my daughter had her rice with this powder and she loved it and had it on all the days we were there. My mother even packed some for her.

Now, after the stock got over, my daughter started asking for it and I called up my grandmother to find out her proportions. Prepared it and now, there’s always stock of this powder at home, for my daughter. Just yesterday, I made a fresh batch of it and thought of posting it here.

This podi is very versatile and the proportions can be changed a little here and there. Actually, the proportions vary from home to home, I guess. Many make it using only tuar dal. But I like to make it my grandmother’s way, by adding horsegram, that gives a unique flavour and makes it healthier too. These kinds of powders come in very handy when you are pressed for time or are just lazy to cook up an elaborate meal. Serve it with hot white rice and a dollop of ghee or sesame oil with some papads and you are good to go :)

What you'll need
  1. Tuar Dal – ¼ cup
  2. Moong Dal/Pasi Paruppu- ¼ cup
  3. Horsegram/Kollu – ¼ cup
  4. Dried Red Chilly – 2
  5. Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
  6. Salt to taste

Method
  1. Heat a Kadai.
  2. Dry roast the dals one by one until nice aroma emanates and the dals have changed red. Take care not to burn.
  3. Dry roast the red chilly too.
  4. Cool. Transfer the dals into a mixer jar, add salt to taste and powder.
  5. Add the asafoetida powder and mix well.
  6. Transfer into clean container and keep it airtight.


Notes:
  1. While roasting the dals, do not do at a high flame. Roasting in high flame will result in quick outer browning of dal but inside will not be roasted. You will not get the proper taste.
  2. I have made it very mild, since it is mainly for my kids. Increase the spice level to suit your tolerance level.
  3. This powder is slightly coarse, if powdered really fine, it will stick to the insides of your mouth while eating.
  4. Always use a clean dry spoon to spoon out the powder.


19 comments:

Unknown said...

great recipe..I love to eat with ghee and rice...

Unknown said...

great recipe..love to eat with ghee and hot rice

Sangeetha Nambi said...

Super tempting !

Laxmipriya said...

nice clicks.. like ur version.. :)

Nisha said...

Bookmarked , any recipe from grandmother has to be good :)

Aruna Manikandan said...

healthy and flavorful podi...
nice clicks :)

Sona said...

Flavorful podi... Love it with white steaming rice and ghee, just yum!

divya said...

flavorful powder.....beautiful clicks...

Sunanda said...

I was looking for this recipe for longtime.. gr8 recipe .. thnx for sharing :-)

Sunandas Kitchen

Mélange said...

Even I have not made podis much..but it looks absolutely a nice idea kaveri..Nice presentation.

Roshni said...

Hmm.. i also have a new found love for this. made it the other day. could not take photos... planning to do next month

Hema said...

Beautiful clicks Kaveri, adding horsegram is a nice healthy idea..

Priya Suresh said...

I can survive for many days with this paruppu podi, beautiful clicks Kaveri.

Swathi said...

Parippu podi looks delicious Kaveri. Nice clicks.

Rajani said...

Awesome pics, adding horsegram is so clever - mung dal will give a different mouth feel, no?

Shella said...

Love this anytime.....

Unknown said...

I love all kinds of podis. they are infact my staple :-). This looks good, new combo for me with horsegram. Will try.

shanti om shanti said...

Hi Kaveri,

Thanks for the recipe of paruppu podi. Is it similar to what is sold at Ambika Appalam? That tastes exotic. My daughter loves that and not home-made ones. There they do tempering of Musturd and curry leaves also and the color also is more reddish than our home-made ones which is light in color. Do you have the recipe for that?

Chandra ranganathan said...

In kalathu podi we add pepper too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...