Potato is a very versatile vegetable, with lovers world wide. It is one vegetable that is loved by kids and adults alike. My family for one loves potatoes in any form, be it a spicy curry, gravy or some crispy fritters. My younger daughter, just can't wait till the curry gets ready. As soon the potatoes are cooked and out of the cooker, she will be ready for her share. She loves eating plain boiled potatoes.
Potato podimas or mashed potatoes - Indian style, is a very simple dish, that can be prepared in a jiffy if you have boiled potatoes ready in hand. A very flavorful and delicious curry, that pairs beautifully with plain rice and rasam. The perfect comfort food for a rainy day, no no for any day.
Serves 3 to 4
What you'll need
- Potato – 4 to 5 Medium sized
- Green Chillies – 1 or 2
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Lemon Juice – 2 tsp
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Spilt Urad Dal – ½ tsp
- Channa dal – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Pressure cook the potatoes. Cool, remove skin and mash them coarsely.
- Heat a Kadai with oil, splutter mustard seeds, channa dal and urad dal. Once the dals turn golden add, chopped green chilles, grated ginger and curry leaves. Fry for a minute.
- Add turmeric powder and then add the mashed potatoes and salt.
- Mix well and cook uncoverd for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the lemon juice. Mix and serve hot with rice and rasam.
- There is a variation to this method. My mother sometimes, coarsely grinds a little coconut, green chilly and ginger without any water. And adds it to the mashed potatoes. No lemon juice is added to this version.