Rasam podi or Rasapodi is an indispensable part of my kitchen pantry. As the name suggests this powder is used to make Rasam. I use it not only in rasams but also in different curries. It adds a wonderful flavor to a simple potato fry, lady's finger fry etc.
Now coming to the recipe, this is my grandmother's recipe, which my mother adopted and now I too am following the same. It gives a wonderful flavor to the rasam. Making this powder is quite simple, just gather the ingredients, roast, cool and grind. But care should be taken while roasting.
What you'll need
- Coriander Seeds / Dhaniya – 3 Cup
- Tuar Dal – 1 Cup
- Channa Dal – 1 Cup
- Jeera – ¾ Cup
- Black Pepper – ¾ Cup
- Mustard – ¼ Cup
- Fenugreek Seeds/Vendhayam – ¼ Cup
- Dried Red Chillies - 1 Cup
- Dry roast all the ingredients one by one.
- Cool completely.
- Grind into a powder and store in airtight containers.
- Though this powder has a long shelf life, I suggest you prepare in smaller quantities to retain the freshness.
- Take care while roasting, never roast on high flame, always roast on a medium flame.
- Also, keep stirring, while roasting so that the whole thing is roasted evenly.
- Store in clean and dry airtight containers and use a dry spoon.