Here is another nellikai recipe. Yes I know, I had mentioned that I am not a lover of gooseberries. But just because I don’t like them, I can’t deprive my family of it. All except me in the family love gooseberries. So, after preparing the nellikai thokku, there were a few more gooseberries left, used those to prepare this instant pickle. This is my mom’s recipe and is liked by all. This pickle can be consumed as soon as you prepare it, but its shelf life is less. It tastes best with curd rice.
What you’ll need
- Gooseberry – 1Cup heaped, deseeded and cut into pieces
- Red Chilly Powder – ½ tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Roast and powder
- Fenugreek Seeds – ¼ tsp
- Asafoetida – small piece
- Heat a Kadai, dry roast the fenugreek seeds till they change colour and become red.
- Remove the roasted fenugreek and keep aside.
- Heat oil in the same kadai, add the asafoetida, once it puffs up remove and place it along with the fenugreek.
- Powder the fenugreek and asafoetida in a mortar and pestle. Keep aside.
- In the same Kadai, add mustard seeds, once they splutter add the gooseberry pieces.
- Add turmeric powder and salt and sauté for 5 to 6 minutes or till the gooseberry pieces become slightly soft.
- Remove from heat and then add the red chilly powder and the powdered fenugreek and asafoetida.
- Mix well.
- Cool and store in airtight container.
Keep refrigerated. This pickle has a short shelf life. Stays good for about a week, when refrigerated.