This month the Baking Patners decided to bake this delicious Chocolate Babka Swirl Buns. The name babka was very new to me. It is Ukranian sweet bread, made with rich dough especially on the Easter Sunday. The chocolate and cinnamon filling was really delicious. And the whole batch vanished by the end of the end. Thanks Tamy and Swathi for introducing this delicious bread.
I pretty much followed the recipe, except for a few changes. I replaced the single egg with yoghurt and skipped the streusel topping.
Recipe Adapted from Portugese Girl Cooks
What you’ll need
For the dough
- All Purpose Flour/Maida – 2 cup
- Sugar – ½ cup
- Instant Yeast – 2 tsp
- Butter – 3 tbsp, at room temperature
- Milk – ½ cup
- Yogurt – ¼ cup
For the filling
- Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips – ¾ cup
- Sugar – ¼ cup
- Cinnamon Powder – 1 tsp
- Butter – 3 tbsp
- Heat the butter and milk in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- In a wide bowl, add the flour, sugar and yeast. Mix well.
- Now add the milk and butter mixture and the yoghurt and start kneading with the dough attachment of the mixer.
- Knead on low speed for 10 minutes. The dough will be very loose and sticky.
- Transfer the dough into a nicely greased bowl and cover with a cling wrap.
- Set aside until the dough has risen to double its size.
- In the meanwhile, prepare the filling,
- In a food processor/mixie jar, add the chocolate chips, sugar and cinnamon powder, pulse until the chocolate chips are almost powdered.
- Add the butter and pulse again. The mixture will become pasty. Set aside.
- Once the dough has risen, transfer the dough to a floured work surface. Punch down and let it rest for another 5 minutes.
- Now roll the dough into a rectangle of about 20x12 inches. Dust with flour if it starts sticking.
- Spread the chocolate filling evenly over the rectangle.
- Now start rolling from one of shorter ends to the other and pinch the edges. Take care to roll tightly.
- Cut the roll, into inch size pieces with a sharp serrated knife.
- Butter the grooves of the muffin tray liberally, and place the cut pieces in each of the muffins grooves.
- Cover with cling wrap and let it rise for another 30 minutes.
- Pre heat the oven to 350F.
- After the 30 minutes of rise, brush each muffin with milk and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the tops turn golden.
- Cool and serve