Wishing everyone a very Happy Vishu and Tamil New Year.
Vishu falls on 15th April this year. No feast is complete without the payasam. So here is a simple payasam for the Vishu Sadya. In olden days, the ada was also made from scratch and hence the whole process of making this payasam took quite some time. I have used the ready made store bought rice ada, which I got from India.
What you'll need
- Rice Ada – ¼ cup + 1 tbsp
- Milk – 3 Cup
- Milkmaid – 2 tbsp (optional)
- Sugar – ½ Cup + 1 tbsp
- Cardamom – 3 to 4
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Soak the ada in 3 cups of boiling water for 20 to 25 minutes. Strain it and wash in cold water 2 to 3 times.
- Take milk in a heavy bottomed vessel and bring to boil. Let the milk simmer on low to medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes. Keep stirring occasionally to avoid burning.
- Add the rice ada and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Now add the sugar and simmer for another 15 minutes. Keep stirring once in a while to avoid burning.
- Add the milkmaid and mix well.
- Remove from heat. Add the crushed cardamom and the butter. Mix well.
- Adding milkmaid is optional, it enhances the taste. If not using milkmaid, increase sugar to ¾ cup.