Anything homemade has its own charm. I love the experience of recreating things we eat out at home. I felt great, the first time I made a pizza from scratch. My mother said it was one of the best pizzas she had eaten. Now, isn’t that enough to make you feel out of the world.
So this month the Groovy Gourmets decided to make burgers, but not a regular potato peas patty. I came up with these chickpea patties. I tasted really delicious. All at home enjoyed this yummy treat.
Makes about – 6 to 8 patties depending on the size you choose
What you’ll need
- Dry Chickpeas /Channa – 1 cup
- Sweet Potato – 1
- Onion – 1 small, finely chopped
- Garlic – 1 clove, crushed
- Ginger – a small piece, grated
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – ¼ tsp
- Coriander Leaves - 1 tbsp, finely chopped
- Corn flour – 2 tbsp
- Maida – 3 tbsp
- Bread Crumbs – from 2 slices of bread
- Salt to taste
- Oil to shallow fry
- Burger buns
- Eggless Mayonnaise (I used a flavoured yogurt dip)
- Lettuce Leaves
- Onion rings
- Tomato Slices
- Cucumber Slices
- Cheese Slices (optional) ( I did not use)
- Soak the chickpeas for 8 hours.Pressure cook until the chickpeas are soft. Drain and set aside.
- Wash, peel and dice the sweet potato. Cook until soft. Cool and mash.
- Add the cooked chickpeas, coriander powder, chilli powder, garam masala to a processor/mixie and grind. It need not be very smooth. Transfer to a wide bowl.
- Add the mashed sweet potato and mix well.
- Heat a small frying pan with little oil, sauté the chopped onions, garlic and ginger until the onion turns translucent.
- Add these sautéed onions to the chickpea, sweet potato mixture.
- Add coriander leaves, cornflour and salt to taste. Mix well
- Refrigerate this for 1 hour.
- In the meanwhile, powder the 2 bread slices and transfer to a plate.
- Make a paste of cornflour and water, set aside.
- Heat a frying pan with enough oil to shallow fry.
- Now, shape the chickpea mixture into patties of required size.
- Dip them in the Maida paste, and dredge on the bread crumbs, such that the entire patty is coated with bread crumbs.
- Now shallow fry the patties until crisp on both sides.
To assemble the burger
- Slice the burger bun into two, apply the mayonnaise on the inner side of both the halves.
- Place lettuce leaves, then the patty and top with onion, cucumber, and tomato slices and finally place a cheese slice and cover with the top half of the bun.
You can toast the slices of bun, if you like.