I have been wanting to post this for a very long time now. But something or the other came my way and it took me so long to post it on the blog. Initially, I was not very confident of making the chips, later when I was confident enough; I was living in places where I couldn’t find the Nendrangai. I wanted to post it before Vishu, so when I went to Chennai last month I had plans of getting the kai, but I couldn’t. So I was thinking this year also, I won’t be able to post it, as in Pune I hardly find it. But, my good fortune, a shop selling South Indian items opened up just a couple of weeks back very near my place. And I asked him if he could get me Nendrangai. And he did get it. So finally, the ever popular chips recipe is on my blog.
What you’ll need
Makes about ½ kg Chips
- Nendrankai /Raw Kerala Banana – 6, (1.5 Kg)
- Coconut Oil – to deep fry
- Salt – as required
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Wash the plantains well and pat dry them.
- Make slits on the skin vertically, make sure u don’t go too deep and cut the fruit.
- Now, with your hands, carefully remove the skin. Save the skin and prepare thoran with it.
- Slice it thin and spread on kitchen tissues or newspaper.
- In a small bowl, add about 2 to 3 tsp of salt and ½ tsp turmeric powder, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a Kadai for deep frying
- Once the oil is hot, reduce the flame to low, and slowly add the sliced plaintain in batches.
- Now, increase the heat to medium high and fry, keep stirring once in a while.
- Fry till the bubbles have almost stopped.
- Now, reduce heat to low and add ½ tbsp of the salt – turmeric water to the oil, increase heat to medium and keep stirring till the spluttering sound stops.
- Drain on to kitchen tissues, continue the process.
- Cool completely and store in airtight container.
- Remember to add lesser amount of the salt-turmeric water as you proceed with the frying the batches, as there will be salt in the oil. Else the chips will become salty.
- After adding the salt-turmeric water, fry till the sound stops, else the next batch will not be crisp.
- Also slice the banana thin and spread on a kitchen tissue for atleast 10 mins to get crisp chips.