Yet again a Potato Post. Potatoes are a favorite at home and loved by all. But somehow I always keep away from cooking them too ofter. I usually end up making a potato curry only as a last resort, that is when I have no other vegetable. But, now, I have to give in to the demands of H and kids and end up preparing potatoes more often and that's the reason for a flooding of potatoe recipes on the blog. :)
This preparation with freshly ground spices is very flavorful, but is on the spicier side. So adjust the chillies and black pepper according to your taste buds. It goes very well with Sambar rice or with just Rasam and rice. I served it along with Sambar Rice.
What you'll need
- Baby Potatoes - 3/4 Kg
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida - a generous pinch
- Salt to taste
To Roast and Grind
- Channa Dal/Kadala Paruppu - 2 tbsp
- Coriander Seeds - 1.5 tbsp
- Dried Red Chillies - 3 to 4 (Increase or decrease according to your taste and spiciness of the chillies)
- Black Pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Coconut - 1 tbsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Urad Dal - 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves - few
- Wash and pressure cook the baby potatoes. Halve them if they are very big. Make sure not to over cook them.
- In the meanwhile, heat a small frying pan, dry roast all the ingredients mentioned under "to roast and grind". Take care not to burn the ingredients. You can roast each item separately. Cool and grind along with some salt into a powder.
- Once the potatoes have cooled, remove the skin and set aside.
- Heat a non stick kadai with oil, temper with mustard seeds, once they start spluttering, add the urad dal and fry till they turn golden. Add the curry leaves and the asafoetida powder.
- Also add the potatoes, turmeric powder, and salt to taste. Remember we added salt in the spice powder. So add accordingly.
- Fry this for few minutes tossing them once in a while. Fry till the potatoes start turning golden brown.
- Now add the the spice powder and saute for a minute.
Remove from heat and serve hot with Sambar and white rice.
- You can use big potatoes too. pressure cook and cut them into smaller pieces.
- Take care not to burn the spices, while roasting, else you will end up having a bitter taste.
- Also since we are adding salt in the spice powder, take care while adding salt to the potatoes.