Friday, May 15, 2015

Iyengar Bakery Style Khara Bun



I have beautiful memories of my life in Bangalore. I moved to Bangalore after my marriage and the days spent in there are surely one of the best in my life. 
We used to live in Domlur and right outside our house was one of the Iyengar Bakeries. We were frequent visitors to the Bakery. I used love the goodies he kept. Be it the Aloo Bun, Khaara Bun, Nippatu or the Open Toasts and not to forget the Dilkush. 
So this month when Priya suggested Khaara Buns for the Home Baker's Challenge, I didn't want to miss it. Finally I made it yesterday, me and kids loved it as for DH, he just took a bite and was not very interested as bread is never his cup of tea :)
So if you like bread and that too are a fan of savory bakes, don't miss this. It is easy to put together with very easily available ingredients.



What you'll need
Makes 8 buns
  1. All Purpose Flour - 1.5 cup
  2. Instant Yeast - 1/2 tbsp
  3. Salt - 1 tsp
  4. Sugar - 1.5 tsp
  5. Milk - 1/4 cup
  6. Water - 1/2 cup
  7. Melted Butter - 3 tbsp + 1 tbsp for brushing on top
  1. Onion - 1 medium sized, finely chopped
  2. Green Chilies - 3 to 4, finely chopped
  3. Coriander Leaves - 1/3 cup, finely chopped
  4. Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
  5. Oil - 1 tsp
Method
  1. Heat a Kadai with oil, temper with cumin seeds. Add the chopped onion and green chilies and saute till the onions turn soft. Add salt and mix well.
  2. Remove from heat. Add the chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Allow to cool.

  3. In a wide bowl, take 1 cup of  all purpose flour, add salt, sugar and the instant yeast. Mix well with hands.
  4. Microwave the milk and water for 30 secs or until lukewarm. It should not be hot.
  5. Now add the milk and water mixture to the flour and mix well. 
  6. Now slowly add the remaining 1/2 cup of flour and knead very well for 5 minutes.
  7. Add the melted butter and knead for another 10 minutes. Add a little more flour if you feel it is very sticky. Knead until you get a soft non sticky dough.
  8. Transfer the dough to a well floured surface and shape it into a rectangle.
  9. Place the onion - green chillies mixture in the middles and cover it from all sides. Now knead well for 5 to 6 minutes or until the onion mixture is well incorporated in the dough. 
  10. Add a little more flour if it is very sticky.
  11. Transfer the kneaded dough to a well greased bowl and keep covered in a warm place for about an hour or until the mixture has doubled in volume.
  12. Punch down the dough and knead again for 3 to 4 minutes. Divide the dough into 8 equal balls and shape them into buns.
  13. Place them on a lined baking tray and allow to rise for another 30 minutes.
  14. Brush the rolls with milk.
  15. Pre-heat the oven at 200C. Reduce the temperature to 180C and bake the buns for 20 to 25 minutes or till done.
  16. Brush with melted butter while bun is still hot to get a nice shine.
Serve warm with a dollop of butter and tea.




8 comments:

PrathibhaSreejith said...

Perfect baked delicious buns Kaveri :)

great-secret-of-life said...

yummy and perfectly baked bread

Anusha said...

It's raining khara buns in the blogging circuit. Perfectly baked buns kaveri. Missed reading your posts. I hope to catch up soon

Rafeeda AR said...

I made these buns and absolutely enjoyed them, though the condition in my house was different... they really look so soft...

Sunita Sriram said...

delicious...always a fan of iyengar bakery stuff!
how about paneer puffs...recipe if u can

veejay said...

I love palakkad chamayal. I want to have a hard copy of the entire recipes? I would like to buy it in book form if available.

Hema said...

Buns look superb Kaveri, I am here in Bangalore for the past 2 years, saw these buns but never tried them, next time I am going to pick some..

richa shah said...

I want to make a loaf and not buns so what is the size of tins I need to use.
Also what do I do for the Glaze,Can I use milk wash??
How much dry yeast do I use instead of acitve yeast??
If I donot use onion, is there any change in the measurement??

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...