I have heard so much about the Strawberry and Cream Combination and I finally tasted it in this shortcake. It was really yummy.
The recipe is very simple with ingredients that are easily available in the pantry. You will have a scrumptious dessert ready in 30 minutes.The original recipe called for prepared the whipped cream filling by whipping heavy cream and sugar, I have used the readymade whipped cream available in spray cans. Now to the recipe
What you'll need
- Strawberries – 2 Cup, hulled and sliced
- Sugar – 2 tbsp
For the Shortcake
- All Purpose Flour – 1 ¾ cup
- Corn Flour – ¼ cup
- Baking Powder – 1 tbsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Fine Granulated Sugar – 4 tsp
- Heavy Cream – 1 cup
- Butter – 2 tbsp, melted
- Coarse Sugar for decoration (optional)
- Whipped Cream – 1 Can (use as needed) - for serving
- Take the hulled and sliced strawberries in a bowl add the 2 tbsp sugar, toss well. Set in the refrigerator for atleast 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Sift the all purpose flour, corn flour, salt, baking powder.
- Transfer to a medium sized bowl, Add the sugar and mix well.
- Now and the cream little by little and mix with light hands till the flour holds up when squeezed with hands and no dry flour is left behind. Don’t over work the dough and knead it.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Transfer the dough on to a lightly floured surface and pat it into a circle of about 8 inches and ¾ inch thickness.
- With the help of a cookie cutter or a lid having sharp edges, cut out circles .
- Dip them circles in melted butter and place on the baking tray.
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar and bake for 15 minutes or till the shortcakes turn light brown and puffy.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- To assemble slice the shortcakes into 2 halves, add some cream and then place the sliced strawberries.
- Cover with the other half, top it with some more cream and place a couple of strawberry slices.