Morappam is a popular evening snack. It is a very close cousin of the kuzhi paniyaram. The Morappam batter is slightly different from the kuzhi paniyaram batter, though you can use the leftover idly/dosa batter. But taste of appams made from the morappam batter is better.
My grandmother always used to grind the morappam batter to make morappams and never made from the idly/dosa batter. She would soak the rice and dals early morning and grind it by around 10 or 11 am and prepare the morappams in the evening. They taste really yummy. Can't make morappams like my grandmother.
What you’ll need
For the batter
- Raw Rice /Pachharisi – 3 Cup
- Urad Dal - 1 cup
- Channa Dal/Kadala Paruppu – ¼ cup
- Aval – a handful (optional)
- Curd – ½ cup
- Salt to taste
- Left over Idly dosa Batter – 2 Cups
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Onion – 1 finely chopped
- Ginger – a small piece, finely chopped
- Green chilly – 1 or 2, finely chopped
- Coconut pieces – 2 tbsp, finely chopped
- Curry Leaves – few
Oil for deep frying
- Soak the Rice, dals and aval separately, for 2 to 3 hours and grind like grinding for dosa batter. Rest it for 3 hours. If you are making the appams for evening snacks grind the batter by 10 or 11 am.
- Before making the morappams, take the required amount of batter in a bowl, add salt and curd and mix well.
- Heat a small frying pan with oil, and temper with mustard seeds. Pour it over the batter.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Check for salt.
- Heat the Appa Karol, add enough oil for deep frying in each of the grooves.
- Once the oil is hot, pour spoonfuls of the batter in each of the groove and cook on medium flame.
- Flip over and cook till both sides turn golden.
Serve hot with chutney and sambar.
- I used a small cup for measuring the rice and dals, so I did not have any leftover batter. If you have leftover batter, you can made dosa, though you should eat it hot as it will get hard on cooling.
- You can also prepare the morappam with leftover idly/dosa batter.
- You can lightly saute the onions and other ingredients except the coconut pieces if you like, before adding to batter.