Aval/Avil is something that you will always find in my pantry. Without Aval, Rava etc I feel handicapped when thinking of making something for dinner. These things come in really handy when you run out of your dosa batter batter. The dinner gets ready in minutes.
Aval upma can be made in a variety of ways, so you won't get bored.
Puli Aval is an upma made with tamarind. And I should say my mother makes it the best. The right amount of tang, and spice, and the slight hint of sweetness from jaggery, the dish is really yum.
I have seen many people powder the aval and soak in the tamarind water, but this method is slightly different.
Serves - 3
What you'll need
- Gatti Aval/Thick Flattened Rice Flakes/Poha – 3 cup
- Tamarind – Size of a Indian lemon
- Jaggery – 1 tbsp
- Sambar Powder – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 3 tbp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Channa Dal – ½ tbsp
- Peanuts – a fistful
- Asafoetida – a generous pinch
- Dried Red Chilly - 1
- Curry Leaves – few
- Green Chilliy – 1
- Soak the tamarind in hot water for about 10 minutes.
- Squeeze anoild take out the tamarind extract, the extract should be about 1 to 1.5 cup
- Heat a kadai with the oil, temper with mustard seeds, once they crackle, add the peanuts, channa dal and fry till the dal turns golden and peanuts are roasted.
- Now add the red chillies, and asafoetida. Finally add the curry leaves and green chilly.
- Add the tamarind extract, sambar powder, jaggery, turmeric powder and salt to taste.
- Let this boil until the mixture, thickens and reaches a saucy constistency, takes aobut 10 minutes.
- After adding tamarind extract to the kadai, then only soak the aval in just enough water else it will soak for a very long time and become mushy.
- Once the tamarind extract reaches a saucy consistency, take aval by handfuls, squeeze all the extra water and add to the tamarind sauce. Repeat with remaining aval.
- Mix well, check for salt and add if required.
Serve hot with a sprinkling of sugar. That's how I like it, feel free to have with your favorite pickle or kootan like my H.