Do you usually have leftover idlis? Here is a simple and delicious way of using them up. And once you try this I'm sure you'll make some extra idlis just to have this delicious upma, just the way I do. Make sure you don't use fresh idlis for this as the crumbled idlis may turn very sticky. If you are using fresh ones, make sure you cool them well before preparing the upma.
What you'll need
- Idli Upma
- Idli – 4
- Onion – 1 small, finely chopped
- Green Chilli – 1, finely chopped
- Curry Leaves – few
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Channa Dal – 1 tsp
- Urad Dal – ½ tsp
- Dried Red Chilli – 1
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Take the cold idlis one by one and dip them in water for 30 seconds, squeeze out the excess water and crumble the idlis with hand.
- Heat a Kadai with oil, temper with mustard seeds, channa dal, urad dal and red chillies. Fry till the dals turn golden.
- Add the curry leaves, green chilly and chopped onions, turmeric powder and sauté until the onions are light brown.
- Next add the crumbled idly and salt mix well until the crumbled idlis are heated through.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
You can skip the onions and prepare without it too, but onions give a nice taste to the upma.