As Halloween’s day falls on the 31st of October, the Groovy Gourmets decided to make some spooky stuff. While searching the web to make something spooky, I came across these spider cupcakes. I enjoyed making these cupcakes and kids loved the look and taste of them. They are pretty easy to put together.
Adapted from here
Makes 12 cupcakes
What you’ll need
For the eggless chocolate cupcake
- Maida/All Purpose Flour – 1 ¼ cup
- Cocoa Powder – ¼ cup
- Curd – 1 cup, fresh and beaten
- Oil – ½ cup
- Sugar – ¾ cup
- Vanilla Essence – 1 tsp
- Baking Powder – 1 ¼ tsp
- Baking Soda – ½ tsp
For the Chocolate Glaze
- Chocolate chips – 3 tbsp
- Butter – ½ tbsp
- Milk – 1 tbsp
For assembling the spider
- Chocolate vermicelli
- M & M/ Gems
- Black Licorice Strings/Drop Veters (Dutch name)
To make the cupcakes
- Pre - heat the oven to 180 C.
- Line the muffin tray with cupcake liners.
- Sift the all purpose flour and cocoa powder and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together, curd and sugar until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Next add the baking powder and baking soda, mix well. Set aside for 3 to 4 minutes. The mixture will start frothing.
- Now add the oil and vanilla essence and mix well.
- Finally add the flour and cocoa powder and mix until everything is well incorporated. Do not mix for a long time.
- Pour into paper lined muffin tray and bake for 20 minutes at 180 C
- Check if it’s done by inserting a toothpick. The toothpick should come out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before applying the glaze.
To make the glaze
- Take the chocolate chips and butter in a microwave proof glass bowl and heat for 30 seconds, remove mix once and heat for another 30 seconds.
- Mix well, the butter and chocolate chips would have melted well.
- Add milk and mix well.
- Now dip the top portion of each cupcake into the glaze and set aside.
To assemble the spider
- Sprinkle the chocolate vermicelli on the chocolate glaze, to cover the top of the whole cupcake.
- Place to red colored gem/M&M for the eyes.
- Poke small holes carefully, on the sides of the cupcake and place small strings of the licorice for legs.
And there, your spooky spider cupcakes are ready.