Monday, February 6, 2012

Gingered Carrot Almond Soup



Yesterday, while I was in the kitchen, preparing the subject of today’s post – Gingered Carrot Almond Soup, both my daughters would just not leave my side. From the time I started chopping the carrots, and blanching the almonds, till blending the cooked carrots. They gave me a tough time yesterday. The moment I started cutting the carrots which were just right in quantity for the soup, my elder one, grabbed almost ¼ th of the chopped carrots and simply popped them in her mouth, saying innocently, mom these carrots are so sweet in taste, why don’t you pack some for my snack box, tomorrow”. I really had to get stern with her, to stop munching on them, so that I had some left for the soup.

Next comes my younger one, eyeing the blanched almonds. “Amma! Give me the cashoos, (pointing to the de skinned almonds)”, she did not leave the place, until I had parted with 5 to 6 almonds. Elder one was not behind; in she came demanding her share of badams. Poor me! Had to give in! Finally I did prepare some soup which would have been just enough for 2 adults but was shared by 4 adults and 2 kids! I had to run into my room with my precious preparation and lock it so as to click some pictures. Phew! All done, served both of them their share and they were very happy. Both my kids just loved the soup and were asking for more!

Though I was fretting about it yesterday, but now while writing this post I am all smiles and I think I did really enjoy the session with my kids. Sometimes, I really wish they wouldn’t grow up so fast!

Soups as I have said in my earlier posts are definitely not my cup of tea! But who would say no to such an exotic combination – Carrots, Almonds and Ginger. I definitely love to try out unusual combos such as these. The velvety smooth and creamy texture of the soup was wonderful. The original recipe called for almond milk, but since I did not have that in hand, I blanched the almonds and ground them along with the cooked carrots. So here is another heartwarming soup perfect for a wintery evening.



Recipe loosely adapted from here.

Serves 4

What you'll need

  1. Carrots – 4 Medium sized
  2. Grated Ginger – 1 tbsp
  3. Almonds – 6 to 8 + 4 for garnishing
  4. Onion – 1 small
  5. Red Chilly Powder – ½ tsp
  6. Rasam Powder – 1 tsp
  7. Black Pepper Powder – ½ tsp
  8. Butter – 1 tsp
  9. Salt to taste
  10. Fresh coriander leaves – few sprigs


Method

  1. Wash, peel and chop the carrots roughly.
  2. Blanch the almonds and remove the skin from them.
  3. Slice 4 of the blanched almonds and keep aside for garnishing.
  4. Heat a pan with butter, add the chopped onions and grated ginger. Saute until the onions turn translucent.
  5. Next add the chopped carrots and sauté for a minute.
  6. Now add about 2 cups of water and salt to taste. Cook covered till the carrots are done. Cool.
  7. Blend this along with the blanched almonds into a smooth paste.
  8. Transfer to the pan, add the chilly powder, rasam powder, pepper powder and adjust salt.
  9. Adjust consistency by adding more water. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat.



Transfer into serving bowls and serve garnished with sliced almonds and a sprig of fresh coriander leaves.

Linking this soup to Magic Mingle - Almonds and Ginger, Healthy Diet Event - Warm Soups and to Show me your HITS and to Soup it Up event by Kalyani hosted by Nupur


42 comments:

Harini said...

the combo sounds very interesting!! shall keep in mind for my next soup bowl!!

Kalyani said...

looks delicious ......

www.mahaslovelyhome.com said...

looks great..loved d colour

Hema said...

Love that color, adding ginger to it, simply delicious..

Faseela said...

very healthy soup and the addintion of ginger gives it a good aroma.......sometime the kids are like that and we find real tough time

Sravs said...

lovely flavours and looks delicious !!

Ongoing Event - CC-Dish For Loved Ones

Suma Gandlur said...

Very colorful bowl of soup!

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Very healthy and delicious looking soup. Excellent dish.

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

PrathibhaSreejith said...

Loved reading this post, yea kids cling on to Mom's too much on certain days n give hard times. Its worth all those hardship when you see them love eating whatever you make :)
Soup sounds delicious, loved that creamy n vibrant texture. Nice clicks n well presented Kaveri..

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Kaveri, I make kheer with carrots and almonds. Never thought of making soup, a very innovative combo. Looks super delicious.

Ramya said...

lovely flavours for the soup..even my kiddo keeps clinging to my dress and pick up things especially nuts. Or she just loves to put her fingers into the cake mix that is ready to go to the oven. She loves to lick that batter, u know :-)

hotpotcooking said...

Healthy soup. Nice clicks and love those soup bowls.

Archana said...

Looks delicious. Dont we moms try our girls patience with our "just wait 1 pic"

Vimitha Durai said...

Lovely colorful soup!!!

Mélange said...

Nice recipe..The colour and flavor both are tempting.

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Delicious combo for soup...Lovely color..

Julie said...

lovely color of the soup..Yummy healthy soup!!
I too find it difficult with kids at times,mostly I prefer working n clicking when they are off to their afternoon nap..

Erivum Puliyum

Unknown said...

What a rich and vibrant color and love all the ingredients - so flavorful and nutty too :) yum!

Vidhya said...

Soup sounds like a must try loved all the ingredients used.Reading this post did bring a smile as it sounded so much like us, me and my daughter.

Nupur said...

Lovely soup, so vibrant colour ... U can link it to my event ''SOUP IT UP''

http://uk-rasoi.blogspot.com/2012/02/soup-it-up-kitchen-chronicles.html

Christy Gerald said...

Yumm n Rich combo comforting Soup Dear.

anthony stemke said...

I'm going to love eating this soup. I love almond soup and carrot soup and I love ginger. Your photographs are stunning too.

divya said...

That looks so awesome and yummy...

Achu's Amma's Kitchen said...

awesome yummy and delicious recipe

Unknown said...

Looks delicious!!1and the colour is also lip smacking!!!!!

Fairy Garden said...

New color instead of orange color of carrot. Nice to see it.

Ongoing Event: MurariAnniversary-Giveaway-2012

hemalata said...

Healthy soup,looks so delicious.

Aruna Manikandan said...

Healthy and delicious soup

The Pumpkin Farm said...

this is yummy looking soup

Suja Manoj said...

Healthy and comforting soup..love the color

Swathi said...

Healthy and delicious soup, Love anything with ginger and almond.

Unknown said...

Really gorgeous color to the soup and looks absolutely delicious!

Sangeetha M said...

very filling and healthy soup,looks lovely!!
thanks for this wonderful entry!
Spicy Treats
OnGoing Event:Show Me Your HITS~Healthy Delights

Sukanya said...

almond soup. something I cant never say no. delicious and falvourful..helathy too, or perfect meal in a bowl !!!

vaishali sabnani said...

what a wonderful blend of flavors...looks so divine!

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

Hearty Soup!!!

Rasi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rasi said...

First time here through magic mingle.. love the soup & the presentation :)

Anusha said...

nice bowl of comforting soupa..

Rosh said...

Yummy soup!! Will definitely try. Do drop by and join me in my ongoing event Gimme GREEN! Would love to see your fab recipes linked :-) Happy Cooking!

Raji RAMAKRISHNAN said...

very interesting one. must try during weekend.

thanks

raji

renju said...

Thanks kaveri its so delicious soup with little ingredient available at home....its yummylious

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...