Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Pori Upma / Puffed Rice Upma

Me and my daughters like puffed rice in any form. I give my younger one, some puffed rice in a cup and she just sits quietly nibbling on them. But that’s only till her cup is empty!! Though all of us like this so much I never ventured into making anything out of it other than some basic Kaara pori. Kaara pori is also a hot favorite in my house. It just vanishes as soon as I make them. I’ll leave that for later though.

Today I wanted to share this particular upma recipe out of Puffed rice. Though I had heard about it from my Kannada and Telugu friends, I used to always wonder how one could prepare upma out of Puffed rice. Won’t it just turn mushy… But then my doubts were cleared when I had this upma at one of my H’s friend’s house here in Hyderabad. She had prepared it very well and I liked it very much. Here’s what I did:


Ingredients Serves 2

1. Puffed Rice – 3 big cups
2. Onions – 1 big chopped into small pieces
3. Green Chillies – 3 – 4
4. Boiled Green peas – 100 gms
5. Salt to taste

For Seasoning

1. Oil – 2 tsps
2. Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
3. Urad Dal – 1 tsp
4. Groundnuts – a handful
5. A few sprigs of Curry Leaves

Method

Heat a Kadai with oil. Add the mustard seeds. Once they crackle add urad dal, and groundnuts. When they change color add the curry leaves. Then add chopped onions and green chillies. Sauté until onions turn slightly brown. Add turmeric powder and salt to taste. Mix well. Then add the boiled peas and mix well. Wash puffed rice under running water. Squeeze all excess water and add it to the Kadai. Mix well on high heat for 2 mins or till puffed rice turns hot. Puffed Rice Upma is ready. Serve hot.


Sending this to Kurinji Kathambam – Healthy Recipe Hunt – Puffed Rice

Also to Anyone can Cook - Series 20 hosted by Taste of Pearl City

11 comments:

Kurinji said...

Thank u so much dear and happy to follow u!
Kurinjikathambam
Event : HRH-Puffed Rice

Unknown said...

that is a wonderful new way to use pori - noted and will try this soon - my little one loves pori too and calls them crunchies :)

jayasree said...

I used to get this in my hostel during tea...and used to wonder how they get it nice and fluffy. Yours have come out very well and loved the click.

Reshmi Mahesh said...

New to me...I like pori...so will give a try in future...

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

sounds interesting...thanx for sharing..
drop in at mine sometime..
Tasty Appetite

Lifewithspices said...

wow tats a good dish..

Priya Suresh said...

Thats simply delicious and wonderful looking upma..

Rajani said...

Super dish, some turmeric powder may add to visual appeal.

Unknown said...

Simple and lovely dish..nice to meet a palakad heart here in blog space..cheers from Ottapalam.

Raks said...

Never tried making upma,sounds interesting and also I think very delicate to make too...yo uhav emade it perfect!

Kaveri Venkatesh said...

Thank you friends.
@ Rajani- adding turmeric is a good idea. Shall incorporate it the next time I make.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...