Mezhukkupuratti and moru kootan or rasam is one of my favourite combinations. My kids also like this preparation as it is not spicy. It is very easy to prepare with just a few basic ingredients. But the star of this dish is definitely the aroma of the coconut oil. I have seen some recipes where they use chopped shallots and garlic, but we make it this way, very simple yet flavorful.
What you’ll need
- Karamani/Payaru/Yard Long Beans – 4 cups, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Black Pepper Powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Coconut Oil – 1 tbsp
- Heat a Kadai with coconut oil, add the chopped payaru.
- Add turmeric powder and salt to taste. Sprinkle little water, cover and cook on medium heat till the vegetables are done. Stir once in a while.
- Remove cover add the black pepper powder and mix well.
- Cook uncovered for another 3 to 4 minutes.
Payaru Mezhukkupuratti is ready.
Serve with Mor kootan or rasam and steamed rice.