Molagootal is a typical Palakkad Iyer fare. It is a mild lentil and vegetable based dish. The most common vegetables used are Ash Gourd, Yam, Pumpkin and Plantain. It is also prepared using other vegetables like Cabbage, Spinach or other greens and Vazhathandu/Plantain Stem. This version made of vazhathandu/plantain stem is one of my favourites. Pair it with a Thogayl or Pachadi and rice and you have a simple, healthy and very delicious meal.
Serves 3 to 4
What you’ll need
- Vazhathandu/Plantain Stem – 1 medium sized, finely chopped
- Pasi Paruppu – 1/3 cup
- Scraped Coconut - ¾ cup
- Cumin Seeds/Jeera – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Urad Dal – 1 tsp
- Dried Red Chilly – 1
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Curry Leaves - few
- Coconut Oil – 2 tsp
- Finely chop the vazhathandu and put in a bowl of water with a spoon of buttermilk/curd until use. I had 3 cups of the chopped vegetable.
- Dry roast the pasi paruppu until a good aroma comes, need not change color. Cool.
- Pressure cook the dal along with the vazhathandu, turmeric powder and salt and 1 to 1.5 cup of water, for 2 to 3 whistles.
- In the meanwhile, heat a small frying pan with a tsp of oil and roast the urad dal and dried red chilly until the dal turn golden.
- Grind this along with the coconut and cumin seeds into a fine paste adding little water.
- After opening the cooker, add this ground coconut paste, mix well add water to adjust the consistency, about 1.5 cup of water, check for salt and bring to boil.
- Once it starts boiling remove from heat.
- Temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves.
Serve with plain rice and a thogayal or pachadi