Sunday, December 2, 2012

Mangai Inji/ Mango Ginger Pickle





First for some good news: I am very glad to share with you that my space got featured in this lovely site Get Ahead India.

Pickles are an integral part of Indian meals. I for one feel my meal is incomplete without the daily dose of curd rice and pickle. Though I love my pickles, I hardly try to prepare them myself. Every year I get my quota of pickles from my mom, grandmom and MIL. So now you know why I haven’t posted even a single recipe for a pickle on my space.

My grandmother, an expert in making a variety of pickles ranging from avakkai, maagai to kadugu mangai also prepared many instant pickles with raw mango, ginger, green pepper (pachha kurumilagu) etc. I love the green peppers preserved in lemon and salt. They taste absolutely divine. With the green pepper, she also prepares this mango ginger pickle, which was not one I liked. Recently H saw it in the market and got a whole lot of it wanting to have the pickle. No other go, had to oblige, so prepared it. But to my surprise, I found myself reaching out to the pickle jar very often. It was good to have it after a very long gap.

Mangai Inji or mango ginger is a root which is a look alike of the ordinary ginger. It smells like mango and has taste similar to ginger, however, the taste is not as sharp as ginger. Predominantly found in south India. Here is the how to prepare this instant pickle which tastes best with curd rice.



What you’ll need
  1. Maangai Inji/Mango Ginger – 1 ½ cup
  2. Green Chilly – 2
  3. Juice from 2 medium sized lemons
  4. Salt to taste

Method
  1. Wash and pat dry the mango ginger. Peel and finely chop it.
  2. Finely chop the green chillies too.
  3. Squeeze out the juice from the lemon.
  4. Transfer the chopped mango ginger and green chillies into a mixing bowl.
  5. Add the lemon juice and salt to taste.
  6. Mix/toss well.
  7. Transfer into glass bottles and keep refrigerated.
  8. Stays fresh for 10 to 15 days when refrigerated.



Note:
  1. Adjust the quantity of green chillies and lemon juice according to your taste.
  2. If adding green pepper (pachha kurumilagu) then do not add green chillies.
  3. Always use a clean and dry spoon while spooning out the pickle.

27 comments:

Vidhya said...

First time here...This is my father-in-law's favorite.

http://www.iyercooks.com

Shylaja said...

Wow. I love this pickle..We used to get lots of ginger mangoes from Mylapore

Sangeetha Priya said...

Healthy oil less pickle, love ur version...

Unknown said...

Congratulations Kaveri, I read the interview on GAI.

We love this maavidi allam pickle at home. I cut them into thin long strips and that is the only difference. My mother also adds them to regular lemon pickle.

Indian Khana said...

fav one and looks too gud ..nice pics

Mélange said...

Varied one as always..thank you Kaveri.

Sangeetha Nambi said...

Wow ! Mouth watering here...
http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

chef and her kitchen said...

love this tongue tickling pickle...looks superb

Aruna Manikandan said...

nice pickle :)

Unknown said...

Congratulations Kaveri, I read the interview on GAI. That was a nice one.
I too love this.. But these days I rarely get manga inji :-(

Unknown said...

lovely pickle :) and mum used to make fish curry with manga ingi pickle sounds super good too

Sanoli Ghosh said...

A very new pickle for me. A must try recipe, thanks for sharing.

today's recipe:
http://sanolisrecipies.blogspot.in/2012/12/aam-ras.html

Jeyashris Kitchen said...

Congrats kaveri. Very nice and simple pickle

Priya Suresh said...

Congrats Kaveri,way to go gal.. Love this pickle very much,unfortunately we dont get this mango ginger often here.

Unknown said...

delicious pickle :) new to me..

Nandinis food said...

Healthy pickle! Love the taste of manga inji.

Unknown said...

I know how good this must have smelled, i too make this but in a different style. healthy and delicious looking

Suja Manoj said...

Quick recipe,love it

Sangeetha M said...

Once Again Congratulations Kaveri...Way to go dear...
i love this maa inji a lot but we don't get here :( looks very tempting!

Julie said...

Congrats Kaveri dear..Tongue tickling pickle,looks so good..yummy!!
Join EP event-Garlic OR Turmeric @ Spice n Flavors

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Congrats dear...very happy for you...:)
Manga inji pickle looks super tempting...Used to have this a lot during my childhood days...had this plant at home...

Kitchen Chronicles said...

Congrats. Delicious pickle. I like the flavour of mangai inji.

Shabbu said...

Congrats...tempting pickle...
Shabbu's Tasty Kitchen

Hema said...

Make it exactly the same way and simply love it, and congrats Kaveri..

Lifewithspices said...

Congrats!! this is so simple to do one..

Swathi said...

Delicious and simple pickle love it. Congrats Kaveri, you deserve more.

Vidhya said...

Congrats dear,I am so happy for you.Love this simple pickle.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...