Monday, November 19, 2012

Rava Idly



I still remember the first time I tasted Rava Idly. It was in MTR, Bangalore. My husband does not like eating out very frequently whereas I was just the opposite. I would just wait for the smallest opportunity to eat out. It was on one such occasion, my SIL had come to visit us and she wanted to see at lalbagh. So I, my SIL, and her husband went to Lalbagh. By this time I had already, tempted my SIL about the delicious food in MTR. So it was decided that we have breakfast at MTR and then head to Lalbagh. Somehow we got late in started from our house and by the time we reached MTR the breakfast session was almost over and when asked what was available, the waiter, told us that he had only Rava Idly and coffee.

On hearing that I was very disappointed as I had been thinking of having some hot Dosas. Anyways, with no other choice we waited for the Rava idly to arrive. When it came, I was taken aback by its size, it was really big. There were 2 to 3 varieties of chutneys and sambar. The Idly was really soft and very delicious. It was one of the most memorable breakfasts.

Ever since, I wanted to try making it at home. I immediately bought the MTR Rava Idly mix and used to make idlis with it for a long time. At some later stage I got this recipe from my grandma, though she used baking soda I prefer to use Eno fruit salt. It really makes the idlis very soft and they stay that way for a long time. You can prepare it ahead of time and just heat it in a microwave before serving.
So here is the recipe:




What you’ll need
  1. Bombay Rava – 1.5 cup
  2. Curd – 1 cup
  3. Water – 1.5 cup
  4. Ginger - 1 inch piece, grated
  5. Green chilly – 1 or 2, chopped
  6. Carrots – 1 Medium, grated
  7. Coriander Leaves – 2 tbsp, freshly chopped
  8. Eno Fruit Salt – 1.5 tsp

For tempering
  1. Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
  2. Bengal Gram Dal – 1 tsp
  3. Asafoetida – 1 big pinch
  4. Curry Leaves – a few sprigs
  5. Cashew nuts –about 10 broken
  6. Oil – 1 tbsp
  7. Ghee – 1 tsp

Method
  1. Heat a Kadai and dry roast the rava till a nice aroma starts coming. Transfer into another plate.
  2. Heat the same kadai with oil and ghee, add mustard seeds, once it starts spluttering add the Bengal gram dal, and cashew nuts fry till golden.
  3. Add asafoetida, fry for about 30 secs.
  4. Add chopped green chillies, grated ginger and curry leaves. Fry for another minute.
  5. Next add in the grated carrots and sauté for about 2 minutes.
  6. Add the roasted rava and fry for another 2 minutes.
  7. Remove from heat and let it cool.
  8. In a wide bowl, add the above roasted and tempered rava, salt to taste, curds and mix well.
  9. Add water gradually, until the batter is of pouring consistency. Not too thick and not too runny.
  10. Keep aside.
  11. Grease idly moulds, heat the idly cooker or pressure cooker with water.
  12. Now add the eno to the rava batter mix well and pour immediately into idly moulds and steam for 8 to 10 minutes.
  13. Serve hot with Milagai podi, chutney or sambar.



Note:
  1. Pour immediately after adding Eno, do not let the batter rest.
  2. You can add chopped onions while sautéing.
  3. You can also add boiled peas.



34 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

My husband is just like urs, he dont like eating out, but being a foodie i would like to taste different dishes.Wat to do.

Rava idly looks super prefect and inviting me to enjoy some,any leftovers there?

chef and her kitchen said...

nice n delicious idli..looks yumm

Vimitha Durai said...

The rava idlis look so soft and delicious dear... Tempting too much

Santosh Bangar said...

healthy snack i can eat any time

Shabbu said...

Yummy and lovely idlis...
Shabbu's Tasty Kitchen

Indian Khana said...

Love this and that platter is very delish

Faseela said...

Soft n yummy idly...

Unknown said...

soft n spongy idli.. even i like to go out for eating :)

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Some pictures look so real that they make you hungry like this fluffy, soft idly is doing to me

Vidya Chandrahas said...

It looks soft and yummy..the picture itself made me hungry.

Jeyashris Kitchen said...

Perfectly done soft idlis. Clicks are too good

Nandinis food said...

Spongy idlis looks inviting! Nice presentation!!

Unknown said...

idlis look so soft & tasty

Anusha said...

Fantastic idlies Kaveri i m drooling uncontrollably... and nice clicks

Recipe world said...

Perfectly made idlis..looks so soft n delicious!

Sangeetha Priya said...

Very Soft idlis, done well!!! Gr8 clicks!!!

divya said...

Looks so yummy!! Nice inviting clicks..

Unknown said...

rava idly looks perfect and delicious

Suja Manoj said...

Soft and fluffy,tempting breakfast

Julie said...

Lovely healthy breakfast..soft & spongy idlis:)
Join my ongoing EP events-Asafoetida OR Fennel seeds @ Divya's Culinary Journey

Hema said...

The idlis have a nice porous texture and I would love to try the idlis at MTR some day..

Roshni said...

looks really perfect and beautiful clicks... though we all are foodies and make many things at home, eating out has its fun

Shema George said...

The key to a good rava idly is that it should be soft and your idli's look perfectly soft. Wish I could get them. I also have a Rava idli recipe on my blog and I have also talked about MTR...coincidence !!! :))

Vineetha Sush said...

I have been to MTR in bangalore too,that too after going to lal bag..ha ha..When we used to live in blore my parents visited us,so took them to Lal bad and then for the treat had a delicious lunchin MTR..cant forget the taste still..
ur idly's looks super temoting,what a beautiful click !
BTW thanks for the comment about the cake..cake decorating is a time cosuming thing..from my past experience i learnt that we will go crazy if u do all the baking and decoration same day so this time I splitted the work to 3 days..made bottle one day,books and cheese next day and baking and icing the third day :)

Sravs said...

Rava Idly looks so wonderful !!

Swathi said...

Delicious rava idly kaveri. I love soft idlys.

Vidhya said...

Idillies look fantastic.Though I lived in Bangalore for 5 years I never tried MTR I am feeling so sorry for myself.

Lifewithspices said...

looks fantastic..

Join my ongoing event Fast & Quick Healthy Dishes Event

http://lifewithspices.blogspot.in/2012/11/fast-quick-healthy-dishes-event.html

Unknown said...

Lovely looking idlys, our family favorite. MTR has very defined timelines for their BF, lunch, dinner as people throng that place. Did you ever try their course meal lunch? I had it once and it was worth all the time we stood in the line to get in :-)

Shylaja said...

Looks super delicious Kaveri.Good to use ENO salt rather than baking soda.I have been to Bangalore so many times but never tried MTR

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Soft and fluffy idlis...Loved the presentation and clicks Kaveri...

Sangeetha M said...

So soft n perfect Rava idly, nice presentation too...eno fruit salt is the magic ing whic makes it more fluffy n soft rt?!

Jaya said...

thanks for the detailed recipe.. was looking for the recipe this morning, glad i chanced upon yours!

Unknown said...

What's bombay rava ? Is it idli rava or barik rava ?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...