My kids love anything with yogurt. They prefer yogurt to milk any day. No doubt they like raithas and thayir pachadis. And I find it easier to feed them veggies in this form as they eat it without a fuss. So here is a simple yet delicious and wholesome recipe and a great way to sneak in some vazhathandu. We usually prepare Molagootal to go with thayir pachadi, but you can have it with rice and sambar too.
What you’ll need
- Vazhaithandu – 1 cup, finely chopped
- Fresh Thick Curd/Yougurt – 1.5 cup
- Salt to taste
- Fresh Scraped Coconut – ¼ cup
- Green Chillies – 1 or 2
- Mustard Seeds – 1/8th tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Curry Leaves – few
- Finely chop the vazhathandu and put in a bowl of water with a spoon of buttermilk/curd until use.
- Drain the vazhathandu pieces from the buttermilk water, squeeze and place in a small vessel. Add salt and toss well. No need to add water.
- Pressure cook it for 3 whistles. I placed it in a small vessel along with the dal and rice. Else you can add little water and cook it on stove top too.
- Grind the coconut, green chillies and mustard seeds. You can add a little of the curds while grinding. Don’t add water.
- Beat the curds well add the ground mixture, cooked vazhathandu and mix well. Check for salt and add accordingly.
- Heat a small frying pan with oil, temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Pour over the pachadi.
Vazhathandu pachadi is ready. Serve as an accompaniment with steamed rice and Molagootal.